Thursday, June 2, 2011

of goats and things...

This picture, in all it's glory, was taken just south of the Georgia state line (or just north of the Tennessee; in all honesty i cannot remember)

The homemade sign that is quite obviously the focal point of the picture announces the finding of two goats and gives a phone number. I have not yet called this phone number. I have every reason to believe it is in fact a real phone number. I further believe that the two goats mentioned in the sign are also real.

The sign is, i believe, intentionally vague as to the type, size, color, general manner of the lost. This is no doubt designed to discourage any kind of gambit or con involving the already forlorn creatures. I've considered calling the number and pretending that the lost goats where mine. The reason I haven't executed this plan, aside from my moral convictions and natural aversion to being deceitful, is I have no use for goats.

The sign did, however, get me thinking. If this person had found a roll of twenties bound by a yellow rubber-band would they have posted a similar sign and waited for a description of the rubber-band before returning the cash? Maybe. Was it something about the goats, the way they clearly walked a line between pet and livestock, that made them more akin to a lost child than a pile of money? Will the goats ever find their way home?

No comments:

Post a Comment